Announcing LMS365 Support for Microsoft Viva Learning
We are delighted to announce that LMS365, the learning management system (LMS) developed for the Microsoft 365 platform, now works seamlessly with Microsoft Viva Learning.
What is Microsoft Viva Learning?
Part of the Microsoft Viva employee experience platform (XP) – Viva Learning is a centralised learning hub that brings learning resources and tools directly into Microsoft Teams. An important thing to understand is that Microsoft Viva Leaning does not provide its own training content.
Instead, it serves as a hub to bring together and deliver a variety of learning resources and content from different sources, such as third-party training providers – LinkedIn Learning, Coursera and Udemy for Business.
You can now also use LMS365 to make content available to Viva Learning.
This can be your own training content built using the LMS365 course authoring tools, or any other content that supports the Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) or Experience API (xAPI) standards.
The thing that makes Viva Learning compelling and successful is that it surfaces learning ‘in the flow of work’. This means that learners don’t have to proactively switch from their ‘day to day’ operating environment in order to access training.
Viva Learning also lets your workforce share, recommend, and support each other through their learning journey, using Teams to do this.
“The LMS is really where critical things like compliance and professional development happens. We do not, absolutely, mean to replace the LMS. We are not going to be in a position to have the same level of specificity that an LMS can offer. Microsoft Viva interacts and interoperates with the LMS to give people the ability to view and search their entire learning catalog right within Teams.”John Mighell, Viva learning product lead, Microsoft
How does LMS365 Compliment Viva Learning?
Whilst Microsoft Viva Learning does a great job of aggregating and surfacing learning content in Microsoft Teams, it is not a replacement for a fully blown LMS.
A dedicated LMS provides many more services that enable organisations to manage training content, distribute it to learners, track their progress, and assess their learning outcomes.
It typically includes features such as content authoring tools, course delivery, testing and assessment, reporting and analytics, and administration and management functions.
LMS365 will give you the 6 following capabilities to compliment your Viva Learning experience:
- Building your own training content. In addition to supporting SCORM, xAPI, AICC, on-demand video and HTML5, LMS365 lets you build your own content using PDFs and many other types of documents such as Word, PowerPoint presentations, and Excel spreadsheets.
- Linking learning components into an end-to-end course. LMS365 lets you create your own end-to-end training programmes consisting of multiple learning modules. You can also create training that is of fully remote, hybrid and in-person training and hands-on exercises.
- Creating quizzes and checkpoints to test understanding. Using LMS365 you can create your own quizzes and checks for understanding at each key training point. Assessment by a trainer or observer can also be orchestrated using LMS365.
- Tracking of in-person learning components. Any training you have that is a mix of remote, virtual instructor led training (VILT) or fully classroom-based training can be tracked and reported on using LMS365.
- Professional development. LMS365 includes support for tracking Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for individuals participating in professional development activities. You can also allocate roles-based development based on a curriculum of learning components.
- Tracking progress, recording certifications and triggering annual renewals. LMS365 lets learning and development managers and line managers track and report on training progress and ensure certifications and other goals are met in line with business and compliance needs.
Whilst most LMS’s operate via a separate hosted system or portal, LMS365 is unique in that, just like Viva Learning, it delivers access to training from within Microsoft Teams.
Those responsible for managing training can also track progress, create courses, and engage with students – all from within Microsoft 365.
What does LMS365 Look Like to Viva Learning Users?
Employees can access the content – including LMS365 content – from the Viva Learning tab in Teams. The LMS365 training content and training plan cards look exactly like Viva training cards.
LMS365 also leverages Microsoft Viva’s AI (Artificial Intelligence) capabilities to provide personalised recommendations for learning content based on an employee’s job role, skills, and learning history.
This ensures that employees have access to the most relevant and engaging learning content to help them achieve their learning goals.
By combining LMS365 with Microsoft Viva Learning, organisations can democratise learning whilst ‘injecting’ their own training content, structure and tracking where needed – all within the flow of work – be it learning remotely, learning by doing, or learning in the classroom.
Learning Management Solutions built on Microsoft 365
Allow our experts to help guide you to select the best LMS for your enterprise